Gyokushodo - Japanese incense since 1804
The first traces of this company date back to 1804, when a merchant by the name of Sakubei II moved his wholesale business from Hiroshima to Hakuromachi, in the Osaka region. He specialised in trading Chinese herbs, agarwood, sandalwood and other aromatic ingredients for making incense. At the time, the port of Sakai (now a district of Osaka) was the transit point for this type of merchandise.
Around 1850, his meeting with a Chinese master (Dong Yu-chu) gave him access to the secrets of incense-making, which he combined with his knowledge of Chinese herbal medicine.
Around this time, the company changed its name to Chuzo Gyokushudo and became a producer of quality incense whose tradition continues to this day.